Built in the 1840’s, and first renovated in the 1890’s, this significant terrace has been returned to its original arrangement as a distinctive single dwelling.
A dialogue between historical preservation and the needs of modern life has been established; within the restored spaces of the original terrace, a series of beautiful, distinctly new objects have been carefully placed to fulfill the functional requirements of a new contemporary home.
At the rear of the terrace, a new concrete pavilion with is connected to the original house via a basement link carved from sandstone bedrock. The pavilion houses the remnants of an original colonial well. Lit from above by a circular skylight, the well cradles a new water feature which reflects the sky- becoming a pivot of the new spatial arrangement of the old and new forms of this grand terrace house.
Coodye / Millers Point, Gadigal Land, NSW
2022 Australian Institute of Architects, NSW Chapter Award for Residential Houses Alterations and Additions