The Rocks, N.S.W
Science House was completed in 1932 to house the Royal Society of NSW and the Institute of Engineers. The design in the Commercial Pallazzo style by Peddle Thorpe and Walker was the result of an architectural competition and subsequently won the 1932 Sulman Award, the first awarded by the Royal Australian Institute of Architects.
The building has continued to have a strong association with cultural institutions and educational uses and in late 2011 a significant part of the building was leased to New York University. Welsh + Major were engaged by Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority to design adaptations to suit the requirements of modern institutional uses.
Every bit as rich in material use as the original building entry, a new accessible foyer utilises a rich material language of brass, breccia nera and alabama marbles to create a space that is celebratory, equitable and dignified.
Photography: Richard Glover