Former Rocks Police Station
The Rocks, N.S.W.
Designed in the form of a Palladian water gate by Government Architect James Barnet in the early 1880's, the building operated as a police station until 1974. For the next 35 years the building was occupied by various tenants, punctuated by periods of vacancy and restoration, with the building remaining unoccupied from 2009 until the present day.
Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority engaged Welsh + Major to design adaptations and additions to enable the building to be used as a restaurant or cafe.
A robust and elegant new dining room and entry has been introduced to the building on it's Nurse's Walk frontage. The former exercise yard has been adapted as a commercial kitchen wing serving new dining rooms in the former holding cells, charge rooms, muster room and offices. Elegantly detailed elements using brass, copper, glass and black painted steel see the building set to re-engage with The Rocks in a way quite different from its' original intent.
2014 Australian Institute of Architects, NSW Chapter Heritage (Conservation) Architecture Award
Photography: Katherine Lu